[Shutsanonofre] Fusion reactors: Not what they’re cracked up to be

Ray Lutz raylutz at citizensoversight.org
Wed Dec 14 22:33:12 EST 2022

  Fusion reactors: Not what they’re cracked up to be

https://thebulletin.org/2017/04/fusion-reactors-not-what-theyre-cracked-up-to-be

This is an article from about 5 years ago, but it is good to keep these
concerns in mind.

The recent news about the "breakthrough" where a net positive power
output was achieved is far from being a reality or "sustainable". It was
only for a brief billionth of a second, and there is a lot of fudging to
make it seem that this would produce a net power output. Plus, there are
many problems.

I'm not against working on this, but it is still pie in the sky. We
should work harder and not divert funding from renewable power sources,
that reduce the net heat in the environment, whereas these power plants,
if we have them, would still have the problem that they are adding a lot
of energy to our environment. So then, a great amount of this power
would need to be used to cool the planet. In contrast, solar and wind
removes energy from the environment.

Also, these power sources suffer from the same issues as nuclear fission
plants. They are very complex, big projects that do not fit well within
our free-market optimization system. Solar panels are small and
relatively easy to mass produce, and they are being improved all the
time through this competition. Meanwhile, we have the same nuclear power
plant designs that have known big problems that are not corrected
because it costs too much to do so.

Thus, this seems like a cheeseless rathole to me.

--Ray

--
-------
Ray Lutz